K – 5th Grade
Our Faith formation program (formerly known as C.C.D.) is designed not only to help students prepare for the sacraments but enables them to grow in their faith, spirituality, and knowledge of the teachings of the Catholic Church as they mature into young adults. We encourage you to enroll your child in the program beginning in kindergarten and continue with classes after they have received the Sacraments of Initiation (Baptism, Confirmation and First Communion). Classes meet on scheduled Wednesdays from September to May. Find out more here.
Baptism is a time of great joy and celebration for parents, family members and the parish community. It is the first sacrament of initiation, the gateway to life in Christ and the Church; a lifelong journey in knowing, loving and serving Jesus. We ask that those wishing for baptism for their child follow the guidelines set by the parish of St. John XXIII and the Diocese of Venice.
- Registration in the parish and participation in the sacramental life of St. John XXIII for a period of three months. The celebration of any sacrament assumes the practice of the faith. In the case of baptism, the active participation of the parents helps to assure the Church that the child to be baptized will be raised in the Catholic faith.
- Participation in a Baptismal Preparation class. For information on the scheduled of classes, please contact the Faith Formation office.
- Baptisms are scheduled after completion of class and all necessary paperwork is completed. Please do not make plans without actually receiving a date.
- Non-parishioners who wish for their child to be baptized at St. John XXIII Parish will need to obtain a letter of delegation from their parish priest to have the child baptized outside of their parish. Also, written verification of having participated in a Baptism Preparation Class in another parish will need to be obtained.
First Reconciliation and First Eucharist
The program is open to students in second grade or above who have completed one full year of the Faith Formation program or attended a Diocesan Catholic School. Sessions for Sacrament preparation are held separate from our Faith Formation program. Your family must be registered in the parish for a period of 3 months prior to the beginning of classes. The four components of our Sacramental Preparation process are:
- The child must demonstrate a willingness to participate in the sacramental process, and the family must be willing to support the child. This includes completion of all required forms.
- Ongoing faith formation (Wednesday Faith Formation classes at St. John XXIII with separate registration, or be enrolled at a Diocesan Catholic School)
- Regular weekly attendance at the Sunday Liturgy (Mass)
- Attendance at all Sacramental Preparation sessions (parent & child attends). Sacramental preparation is a collaborative effort between family and parish and as such, requires parents or guardians to participate in the program. Parents must attend scheduled parent sessions.
In compliance with the Bishop’s office and all parishes in the Diocese of Venice, the Sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated at the end of the candidate’s 10th grade. Candidates must complete a 2 year preparation program that commences at the beginning of 9th grade or above. Your family must be registered and actively participating in the parish for a period of 3 months prior to the beginning of classes. Components of the Sacramental Preparation process for Confirmation are:
- Candidate must demonstrate a willingness to participate in the Confirmation process, and the Candidate’s family must be willing to support him/her.
- Candidate must complete a two year preparation program which includes attendance at all sacramental preparation meetings. Regular attendance at youth group is also required unless you are enrolled in a Diocesan Catholic School.
- The Candidate must have regular attendance with active participation in Sunday Liturgy. (Mass)
- Baptismal records on file in the Faith Formation Office.
- Completion of all required forms, including letter of introduction to the Pastor, Saint Report, and Service Project. Letters and reports must be typed and turned in by deadlines.
Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults
RCIA is a process that helps the unbaptized person prepare for full initiation into the Catholic Church through the sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist. RCIA serves as the fullest model of what it means to become a Christian, a member of the Catholic Church. RCIA is also for those who have been baptized in other Christian traditions and are now seeking full communion with the Roman Catholic Church. For these Christians, the RCIA process assists the continuing conversion appropriate for all Christians, while giving understanding of Catholic beliefs and the experience of the Catholic Community. At St. John XXIII this process is ongoing, and we accept new inquiries throughout the year.
Children who are not baptized and are of catechetical age (age 7) may enter into a process of initiation called the Children’s Catechumenate, which is modeled after the RCIA process. Through this process, children are initiated into the community and celebrate the Sacraments of Baptism, Confirmation and Eucharist. This process involves the entire family. For more information on the RCIA process call Ginny Whelan or Chris Biel at 561-7499.